Ticks on your dog can become more than a nuisance if left unchecked. In fact, it can lead to some serious health risks. It can also be infuriating to completely remove once it has found its way on your dog’s skin. One of the best ways to combat this annoying parasite is by making all the necessary steps to ensure it won’t even have the chance to settle in on your beloved canine companion.
One of the professional dog groomer’s best ways to prevent ticks from getting all cozy on your dog’s body is by using the best tick repellent for dogs. To help guide you in this dog care category, I’ll be first giving you a list of the top products around in regards to tick repellents. Afterward, we will be discussing some key factors to further help you make sure that ticks, as well as their eggs, won’t be overstaying their welcome. Actually, they weren’t even welcome in the first place.
The Best Tick Repellent for Dogs in 2018
De Flea Pet and Bedding Spray
First up, we have Nature Chemistry’s De Flea Pet and Bedding Spray. This tick repellent is designed to kill ticks on contact. It is also designed to be used on dogs of all ages meaning you can also use it on puppies without worrying about side effects.
You can also spray this directly on your dog’s bedding or carpets where they tend to lounge around. You can also spray this around your home where insects like ticks and fleas are most likely to hang around.
- The fast acting formula kills ticks upon contact.
- Safe for dogs of all ages.
- Kills ticks and fleas on contact.
- Effect on dog’s coat will last for up to 3 days.
- Not a long-term solution to tick and flea infestation.
HARTZ Ultraguard Plus Flea and Tick Home Spray
HARTZ Ultraguard is formulated to eliminate not only adult ticks and fleas but also the eggs and larvae. This helps increase the chances that you will be able to completely rid your dog of these parasites in a short amount of time.
HARTZ Ultraguard also has odor eliminating properties which are a nice inclusion to help keep your dog’s bedding smelling fresh. However, you should note that this spray is not for use directly on your pet’s skin. You should only apply the spray around your home where ticks and fleas have nested. The powerful pesticide formula should also prevent any chance of re-infestation in the future if used properly.
- Formulated to eliminate ticks, fleas, eggs, pupae, and larvae.
- Odor eliminating property.
- Designed to prevent re-infestation in the area.
- Kills parasites in a matter of seconds upon contact.
- Eliminates pet odors.
- Can help lower the risk of re-infestation considerably.
- Not designed to be used directly on your pet’s skin.
- May not be strong enough in cases of extreme infestations.
Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Pet and Home Spray
Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Spray repellent take a different approach when it comes to solving tick and flea pet infestation. This repellent uses all-natural ingredients to formulate a pesticide that is safe to use around pets and humans. Vets Best can be sprayed on furniture and pet beddings as it does not leave any stains on fabrics.
This is an affordable tick and flea repellent spray that also contains no toxic or harmful ingredients. Well, it is only harmful to those pesky fleas and ticks anyway. If you are looking for a tick and flea repellent that can be used daily then you might want to check Vet’s Best.
- All-natural ingredient.
- No-stain formula.
- Non-toxic and is safe to use around pets and children.
- A great long-term tick and flea repellent.
- Does not leave any stains on fabrics.
- It has a noticeable scent.
- Not as effective on fleas.
Tropiclean Natural Flea and Tick Home Spray
Another all-natural tick and flea repellent spray entry, the Tropiclean Natural Flea and Tick Home Spray use a mixture of various essential oils known for killing fleas and ticks. The formula is also designed to target eggs and larvae to ensure that re-infestation is prevented.
Tropiclean Natural Flea and Tick Home Spray are also safe to use around your pets as it does not contain any pyrethrin. The spray can also be used around your home where your pet tends to stay like carpets and their beddings.
- Uses pet and human safe essential oil ingredients.
- Targets ticks, fleas, eggs, and larvae.
- Perfectly safe to use around both dogs and cats.
- Uses natural and non-toxic ingredients.
- Leaves a nice yet mild cinnamon scent.
- Not quite effective as a long-term flea repellent.
Sentry Home Flea and Tick Home Carpet Spray
Sentry Home is a powerful flea and tick repellent designed to eliminate these pesky parasites in all their life stages. This is also an ideal long-term tick and flea deterrent as it is designed to prevent re-infestation in an area for up to 210 days.
Sentry Home is also formulated to eliminate pet odors which should help keep your pet beddings smelling fresh. However, it is recommended to keep pets and children away from areas that you have sprayed for up to an hour.
- Fast acting tick and flea eliminator.
- Designed as a long-term tick and flea deterrent.
- Can prevent re-infestation in areas for up to 210 days.
- Powerful tick and flea repellent.
- Does not leave stains of furniture.
- May not be as safe to use around your pets. I recommend you keep your pet away from areas you have sprayed for at least an hour.
Bug Protector All-Natural Tick Repellent Spray
Bug Protector offers pet owners another safe and natural tick repellent spray that should solve tick and flea infestations quickly. It uses natural ingredients which, in theory, should make it safe to use around humans and pets. It also does not contain any petroleum-based ingredients so you needn’t worry about it leaving stains on certain fabrics.
The Bug Protector All-Natural Tick Repellent Spray is also designed to keep mosquitoes and other insects at bay. I also like the fresh and mild scent that it uses. Not too overpowering for your pet’s sensitive nose.
- Non-petroleum-based formula.
- Repels other insects like mosquitoes as well.
- Uses a mild refreshing scent.
- All-natural formula.
- No-stain insect repellent.
- Safe to use around pets and humans.
- Does not kill ticks and fleas. This is more of a preventative spray.
Ben’s Deet Tick and Insect Repellent Spray
The Ben’s Deet Tick and Insect Repellent Spray offer protection not just from ticks and fleas but also a wide variety of nippy little critters. The formula used can offer up to 10 hours of protection on a single spray. If your dog enjoys frolicking outdoors then a quick little spray on their coat should prevent fleas and ticks from hitching a ride.
The good news is that this uses an odorless mixture which will not cause any discomfort with your pet’s sensitive sense of smell. It can also be used by humans so if you plan on going up a trail with your furry friend then you can use this bug repellent as well.
- 10-hour protection from insects.
- Odorless formula.
- One spray can protect you and your pet for up to 10 hours.
- Pocket size.
- Odorless mixture.
- It can damage plastic synthetic materials.
Natural Care Flea and Tick Spray for Dogs
Natural Care Flea and Tick Spray for Dogs uses natural herbal ingredients to keep ticks and fleas away from your furry canine friend. It uses herbal ingredients like peppermint oil and clove extracts which are known to deter fleas and ticks as well as mosquitoes.
The formula is also designed to kill ticks, fleas, eggs, and larvae upon contact making this a fast-acting natural tick and flea repellent. The ingredients also do not leave any stains on fabrics such as blankets, beddings, and even upholstery. The natural ingredients make this safe to use around pets (12 weeks and older) and children.
- All-natural herbal ingredients.
- Designed to repel fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes.
- No-stain formula.
- Safe to use around children and pets.
- Can be used on pets as young as 12 weeks old.
- Kills ticks, fleas, eggs, and larvae.
- Perfect for taking care of a mild infestation but will not be as effective with severe cases.
Best Method to Prevent Tick Infestation on Dogs
As we have already stated earlier, ticks can become quite a nuisance for both you and your dog. Fortunately, the list of the best tick repellent products above will significantly help in ridding your pet of these pesky parasites. Of course, we all know that it is better to prevent this infestation in the first place rather than treating it. With that in mind, here are some important guidelines on how to prevent tick infestation on your dogs and other pets.
Avoiding Areas Where Ticks and Fleas Tend to Thrive.
Ticks and fleas thrive in heavily wooded or vegetative areas. Shrubs, meadows, and grass are just some of the places you will most likely encounter ticks. If you and your dog enjoy a good hike, I suggest you stick to the trail and avoid going through wooded areas.
Check Your Yard for Any Possible Tick Infestation.
If you have a garden in your yard or if you are near wooded areas, I advise you check the spots that have a lot of plants and shade. Ticks also tend to go for habitats like this. Make sure you remove decaying leaves from your yard. You should also make sure that you keep your trash bag perfectly sealed. Pests like rats and raccoons can bring ticks into your own backyard as well.
Do Regular Checkups on Your Dog
It is important to check your dog’s coat after taking him out for a walk. It only takes one tick to create a problem so make sure they won’t even have a chance to settle down on your dog’s skin. Using a tick repellent before taking your dog for a walk is a great way to reduce this risk. Check between your dog’s toes and armpits as well. You can also take them to a grooming service every once in a while, for a thorough cleaning.
Tick infestation is one of the most common problems that can affect our pets, dogs especially. But that does not mean that we can’t do anything to prevent it. By using the best tick and flea repellents in the market, as well as applying some preventive measures, we can help make sure that our furry best friend will maintain a comfortable and happy everyday life.