If you notice flakes of dead and dry skin on your cat’s fur it is important to take necessary precautions. Dry skin in cats can be caused by a variety of reason; from over-bathing, malnutrition, to diseases. If your cat does have a dry skin problem then you can use the following products designed to treat this health issue.
Of course, I still highly suggest you consult with your vet first to make sure this isn’t caused by a disease. Now then, let us go and take a look at the highest rated and most recommended treatment for cat dry skin. We will also discuss causes and other preventive measures you can take to ensure that your cat won’t be experiencing dry skin problems again in the future.
The Best Treatment for Cat Dry Skin – 2018 Edition
Burt’s Bees for Cats Dander Reducing Spray
Burt’s Bee Cat Dander Reducing Spray is a mild yet highly effective dry skin treatment for cats. The product consists of about 99.7% all-natural ingredients that include Aloe Vera (a great skin care nutrient) as well as oatmeal.
Burt’s Bees is designed specifically for use with our feline friends so you can sleep easy knowing that it does not contain anything that can cause skin irritations. The product is completely free of any artificial ingredients with no color dyes. It is also pH balanced for cats to help give your cat a healthier skin and a lusher coat.
- All-natural ingredients.
- pH balanced.
- No artificial ingredients.
- Fast acting and ca reduce dandruff on cats by at least 90% within a week.
- The fur feels softer after use.
- Great for both short hair and long-haired cats.
- The cloth wipes dry incredibly fast once taken out of its box. I suggest you place it inside an airtight Ziplock bag.
DEchra Miconhex is a shampoo that is formulated to fight off bacterial skin and fungal infections. This is a highly recommended medical shampoo by veterinarians. It can be used not only on your pet cat but also dogs and even horses.
This shampoo also moisturizes your pet’s skin which helps prevent future cases of dander problems. This shampoo also contains ceramides which act as a moisturizer and helps speed up skin regeneration. The ingredients on the shampoo also remain active even after bathing to ensure your pet will get a quick and full recovery from their dry skin problems.
- Medical shampoo recommended by most veterinarians.
- Contains ceramides which help speed up healing.
- Formulated for cats, dogs, and horses.
- Multipurpose medical shampoo for different animals.
- Eliminates bacterial and fungal infections.
- Moisturizes the skin even after rinsing.
- Slightly more expensive than other medical pet shampoos.
Oster All-Natural Oatmeal Cat Shampoo
Oster All-Natural Oatmeal shampoo is formulated to help keep your cat’s coat and skin in tip-top shape. It consists of 100% oatmeal extract to help soothe any skin irritation while also acting as a conditioner and detangles the fur of long-haired cat breeds.
The shampoo also utilizes surfactants and a refreshing Vanilla scent that can last for quite a long time. The shampoo is also pH balanced for cats. It uses biodegradable all-natural ingredients with no colorants and alcohol. You are pretty much guaranteed that it won’t be causing any allergic reactions to your cat while solving their dander problems.
- 100% Natural oatmeal extract.
- Contains higher levels of surfactants with rich Vanilla scent.
- pH balanced for cats.
- Keeps your cat smelling fresh with its Vanilla fragrance.
- Can assist in detangling long-haired fur.
- Uses 100% natural oatmeal extract.
- Does not lather as much as you would want.
Honey Dew Natural Pet Spray for Cats and Dogs
Another entry that utilizes natural ingredients, Honey Dew Natural Pet Spray is designed to work on both dogs and cats. It not only helps maintain moisture on your pet’s skin, but it also acts as a conditioner on their fur and eliminates odors at the same time.
It uses a refreshing lavender scent that removes pet odor while also soothing skin irritations. It uses all-natural formula so you don’t need to worry about it causing any skin irritations. Honey Dew also comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee which is a good safety net for first-time buyers.
- Lavender scent.
- All-natural ingredients.
- Multipurpose pet shampoo.
- The formula is mild and helps soothe skin irritations.
- Can moisturize skin and maintain a lush and soft coat.
- Refreshing lavender scent.
- Deodorizing property is not as effective on outdoor pets.
Vet’s Best No-Rinse Clean Waterless Cat Shampoo
For those whose cats are extremely difficult or not used to taking a bath, using waterless shampoos are your next best bet. Vet’s Best No-Rinse Shampoo does not require you to soak your cat in water to work its magic. Just apply the solution to your cat’s coat and dry affected areas.
The formula helps offer relief from itchiness and moisturizes the dried skin. No-Rinse Cat Shampoo also utilizes natural ingredients such as Aloe Vera, Oatmeal extract, neem oil, and Vitamin E. These ingredients not only solve dry skin problems, it also acts as a coat maintenance. This waterless cat shampoo is safe to use for kittens 12 weeks and older and can be used with tick and flea repellants.
- All-natural ingredients.
- No-rinse formula.
- Great for cats who have an adverse reaction to water.
- Can be used on cats as young as 12 weeks old.
- Safe to use alongside topical flea and tick ointments.
- Neem oil smell might be off-putting for some people.
Vet Recommended Waterless Dry Foam Mousse Cat Shampoo
Another great alternative for cats who are simply not a big fan of bathing. The Vet Recommended Waterless Cat Shampoo does not, you guessed it, require any water. You just spray it a bit on dry skin areas on your cat and massage thoroughly.
This uses natural ingredients to help moisturize skin while also keeping the coat soft and lush. This dry shampoo also contains no alcohol ingredients to ensure it won’t cause any skin irritations on your pet cat. It features a mild surfactant solution that will greatly help in removing cat dander. It also has a sweet strawberry scent for those who enjoy snuggling with their cat.
- A simple spray and massage use.
- Strawberry scented.
- Mild formula.
- Strawberry scent was a nice touch.
- Dry shampoo for cats who hate getting wet.
- Mild formula yet highly effective in treating cat dander.
- The strawberry scent is a double-edged sword as it can cause some allergic reactions to cat owners.
Pet MD Oatmeal Cat Shampoo
Pet MD Oatmeal Cat Shampoo is a good choice for cats who do not only have dander problems but also suffer from excessive itchiness daily. The oatmeal extract helps soothe the skin irritation while moisturizing and speeding up the healing process of the skin.
This cat shampoo does not contain any alcohol and uses a special blend of essential skin care ingredients such as Aloe Vera, oatmeal extract, wheat germ oil, and several vitamins. Pet MD Oatmeal Cat Shampoo might be a good choice if your cat is suffering from skin irritations as well as dandruff.
- Formulated to treat cat skin problems such as itchiness and dry skin.
- Can offer relief for cats who are suffering from excessive itchiness.
- Formulated so that you can use it frequently without damaging your cat’s coat.
- Soothing effect on the cat’s skin.
- None to mention.
Earthbath All-Natural Cat Wipes
An alternative to waterless shampoos would be wet wipes. Earthbath All-natural cat Wipes is one such example of an easier way to clean and groom your cat without the need of using water. Each ply of wet wipes is extra thick and is infused with all-natural ingredients that should help treat the dry skin while acting as a conditioner for their coat.
This cat wipe is lanolin-free and is hypoallergenic to ensure your cat won’t experience any side effects. All in all, Earthbath is one of the easiest ways to help clean and treat dry skin on your cat.
- Extra thick wet wipes.
- Contains safe and natural ingredients.
- Easy to use.
- The wipes tend to feel a bit too dry. I pour a tiny bit of water on it to compensate.
Dermagic Skin Rescue Lotion
This is a fast-acting skin treatment solution designed for cats, dogs, and horses. If you want to cover all possible bases when it comes to skin care treatment for your feline friend then Dermagic just might be the thing you were looking for.
It is formulated to treat skin conditions such as yeast infections, scaly skin, allergies, dermatitis, black skin disease, hot spots, and dandruff. It uses Aloe Vera and vitamin E which helps speed up recovery. It also contains sulfur which targets dandruff causing bacteria and also acts to offer relief from severe itchiness.
- Can be used to treat a variety of skin problems.
- Safe to use on cats, dogs, and horses.
- The formula is safe. Your pet can lick it without any concern for negative side effects.
- Can treat a wide variety of pet skin problems.
- Has a sulfur smell.
What Are the Causes of Cat Dry Skin Problems?
As you would expect, cats who usually stay outdoors a lot will be more susceptible to dry skin/dandruff problems. This is because bacteria, fungi, and parasites are the topmost reasons that cause this skin problem in cats.
Other possible causes of dry skin in cats include injuries (getting into a fight with another cat, for example), getting exposed to harsh chemicals, overexposure to sunlight, eating dead rats or prey. Because of this, I would highly recommend you keep your pet cat indoors and only let them go outside under your supervision.
Symptoms of Cat Dry Skin
Of course, the most obvious symptom here would be dander and a dull coat. But sometimes it can be rather difficult to spot these two major symptoms of dry skin in cats at first glance. There are other dry skin symptoms that can help you determine whether your cat is going through this skin problem. Below are other symptoms you need to be wary of if you have a pet cat:
- Excessive grooming.
- Bald patches.
- Constantly shaking his head.
- Tail biting.
- Several spots of matted fur around their body.
- Constantly scratching their ears and paws.
Home Remedies for Cat Dry Skin Problems
Besides the treatment products I listed above, there are other simpler home remedies that you can include to help speed up the recovery process. Below are dry skin treatments that you can apply with simple items you can find at home or at your local grocery.
- Applying Apple Cider Vinegar
If the main cause of dry skin on your cats is fleas then using a combination of 50% apple cider vinegar and 50% warm water can help remove these pesky parasites. You can either bathe your cat on this mixture or use a spray and apply the apple cider with water directly to the affected areas. Just make sure to rinse it thoroughly after a couple of minutes.
- Using Coconut Oil
Another effective way to treat dry skin is with coconut oil. Massage a healthy dose of coconut oil to the patches of dry or scaly skin daily. You can also mix in a spoonful of coconut oil into their daily food but unless your cat does not get the proper daily nutrients, I suggest you stick to using coconut as a topical treatment as it is packed with calories.
- Include Omega-3 Fatty Acids in their Diet
Having a DHA and EPA deficiency can lead to several skin problems which is why adding omega-3 fatty acid rich foods in your cat’s diet might help improve their skin health. You can get omega-3 fatty acid from a fish oil. Just remember that cats cannot properly process ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) into DHA and EPA that came from plants like flaxseed oil. I suggest you go with actual fish oil and meat for their primary source of omega-3.
Cat dry skin is more prevalent with cats who stay outdoors. While there are times wherein you just can’t stop them from venturing outside, taking precautionary steps such as proper grooming and a healthy diet can help lower the risk of this skin problem. Take everything you have learned in this article and apply it to your cuddly feline to make sure they won’t have to suffer through this skin health issue.